Saturday, August 30, 2008

Calling all Geeks!

Ok, so I'm not really going to be writing an Ode here. In fact, I'm so lazy that I'm not even going to Google "Ode", because I really don't know what an Ode exactly is. I am, however, going to describe to you how old my computer is. I have had this machine for over 3 years now, and it was an old workstation from a previous employer that I purchased. At the time, it was pretty spiffy and not a horrible machine. In fact, it's still a pretty decent machine. However, I am trying to work more on hi-resolution digital sculpting, and for that I will need some beefier hardware.

I've created a wishlist on Newegg for my Dream Machine. Q6600 Quad Core processor, 4gb DDR3 RAM to start with, and a nice overclocking motherboard with dual graphics card compatibility. Does this sound greedy? I don't really care. I need power! And I need it to last for awhile, even though Intel is on the cusp of a new age.

To fund my dreams, I am trying to get some freelance gigs. I've done a few logo designs for family and friends, but I'm really looking for more lucrative projects. So, if you know anyone who needs a high-end concept painting or 3d Model/texture, please send them my way! My portfolio (outdated as it may be) is here.

Also, if you have comments on my selection of computer parts, please recommend something to me! Believe me, I wish I could afford a high-end Mac (with dual boot for WinXP of course!) and those lovely screens. I think the Samsungs I have my eye on should be ok... I am so sick of only having one 19" CRT at home. Seriously, how can you live with just one screen? It's so much nicer when you have the real estate for reference photos, multiple applications, and sweet wallpapers.

Here are some links for some of the things on my wishlist:

ASUS Rampage Extreme LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard
or
XFX MBN790IUL9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI DDR3 ATX Intel Motherboard

XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case
or
Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

POWERCOLOR AX4870 512MD5-H Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
or
BFG Tech BFGE88512GTOC2E GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card


2 comments:

Alissa said...

so, what's your dream machine gonna cost?

Brian said...

I'll hit you up if anything comes my way.

I work off a 21" flat panel at work and I just upgraded to a 19" CRT at home (I was on a 15").

My boss, even though he does little "art work" has two 21" monitors. I am a wee bit jealous.

As far as the machine itself, I have no input since I'm on a 5 year old one as I type. It has a bit of storage (240gig but it's mostly taken up now with HD video of the family/concerts and about 90 gig in 320kbps music). I want a high end mac pro book with the airport and terabyte wireless hard drive. And a full size poster printer.

I can dream can't I?